Thursday, November 20, 2008

my first.

Reuben is my firstborn. The first to make me a mother. Well, this weekend I had another first. The first time I've experienced potty-training. It was great. Reuben is great. I have learned so much from having him, and he is amazing. It brings tears to my eyes every time I think about how we almost lost him. Most 27 weekers don't make it, or do, but with a lot of challenges. He is so smart, good looking, and creative (all 3 of which I'm sure he got from his Daddy!) We had a 3 day weekend, thanks to some unknown-to-me Mexican holiday, so I decided to POTTY TRAIN REUBEN! I know, I know...if you're doing the math, I'll help you out. He's almost 3 1/2. But I didn't want this to be frustrating for either of us, especially since my time with him now is limited. Here's how it went:
Putting on his first sticker! He was so proud of his big boy underwear, but a little embarrassed to have me take a picture! He kept telling me that he wears underwear and Jace uses diapers.
We started bright and early Saturday morning (5:30 to be exact). He tried for a while, while watching cartoons.

...even had to have a snack...
We read his "Potty Train" book...a few times...
And at the end of the 3 days, HE'S POTTY TRAINED! He's so proud, and so are we! Yes, the first day had it's share of accidents. Jorge told him that after he's potty-trained, he'd take him to the ranch to ride horses all day. After that, the stickers kept piling on! (Jorge, when we potty train Jace, please make that promise on the first day!)

For every successful "go" (how do you say that?!) he would get a sticker and an M&M. Jace stood watch, and when he saw the results, he'd run and ask for an "em!" also. Look at all those stickers! Man, he can pee! On a funny note, he would get so distracted and say, "mommy, it's LONG!" Yes Reuben, please go. Silly boy. Successful weekend! YEAH!



7 comments:

Cambria said...

WOW! I am so impressed that you did it! Well, he did it, whatever, it is done!!!! Ahhh, that is a good feeling. NO MORE DIAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greg keeps saying "Potty Train Molly" ha- yeah right. I told him he could do it. She is not even two for crying out loud. Did he put the potty cup on his head anymore? =)

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

awww, now he's a big kid!
and the daddy is handsome and all, but i'm going to have to say Reuben gets his super good looks FROM HIS MOMMA! those eyes!

Nancy said...

Yay! That is great! It is such a nice feeling when they finally get it. Congrats!

The Wuehler Wireless said...

Where in Mexico do you live. Is it anywhere McAllen, Texas? Remeber my rommate Emily? Her husband has an internship there and she doesn't know anyone.

tori and nelson said...

good job! tell reuben to keep up the good work. :o)

Jarmeg Family said...

way to go rueben you amaze me too!!

Meredith said...

what a big event. congratulations. what a relief right?