Friday, July 25, 2008

My binge on humble pie!

Case #1: We asked Reuben what he wanted for his birthday, and this is what he asked for. I didn't buy him any boots this summer because I thought he could just wear his sandals and we'd get some in the fall. Nope. It's all about boots this summer! So...when we were in the store, they had one pair in his size but they weren't a match. One was a darker brown. I thought, "some idiots bought the wrong ones!" We ended up buying a bigger size so he could put them on and take them off himself. THEN I went shopping- found some *FABULOUS* shoes, love them- but the boys were getting tired of shopping so I hurried to check out (have to make myself some excuse!) I bought 2 different sizes! 7 1/2 and 8. Like I said...humble pie.

Case #2:



I recently read the blog about the woman whose baby drowned in their hot tub. This was really hard for me. I was grateful they forgave themselves, but when they said they didn't feel like they were to blame- I very much dissagreed. I told Jorge I must need to read my scriptures more, but I felt like I had a hard heart and was somewhat angry at this random woman. While I still feel like they were to blame, even though I know it was "meant to be" meaning Heavenly Father knows what mistakes we will make before we make them- my rude awakening was this: Reuben ate ALL of Jace's teething tablets. Ok, not all- I had given Jace 3, so he actually ate all 122! (I was putting Jace down for his morning nap, and he tried waking up so I stayed with him for a few more minutes.) I about died. I called and come to find out, a baby can actually eat 6 whole bottles! before feeling a negative side effect, which is: dry mouth. Holy cow huh? I screamed, "Reuben, this is medicine- not candy!" and when I found out he was fine, I cried. Sobbed. Uncontrollably. I asked him, "do you know how much I love you?" He said, "yeah." and brought a blankie and wiped my tears. If anything had happened to him, it would have been 100% my fault. So it didn't really change my mind about things, but it did open my eyes. Also, it made me question the overall effectiveness of the teething tablets. The belladonna didn't sedate him and the caffeine didn't seem to do much either and trust me- he didn't leave my side for over 24 hours.

Lesson learned: I'm still pretty opinionated, but I might need to work harder at keeping those opinions to myself because before too long, I will be making the same mistakes...myself.



6 comments:

Bec said...

I still think you should return those shoes-- and swap 'em for the SAME size! Weirdo. But yes, I understand what you're saying-- it's so easy to judge people until you ARE "people." Sad, but true.

Nancy said...

It is so nice to see that you added more posts. Yeah! How lucky for Jace to get new boots.

So, I am the same way about judging and then it happens to me. I loved what that mother said about forgiving herself because I dodn't know if I could and I know that it would destroy me. I have realized that no mother is perfect and of course you would never want anything to happen to your kids but stuff does happen. I think there is something everyday that happens to my girls and I feel bad even if it something like them shinning there knee. I am sorry that you had that scare. I am so glad that it all turned out well.

Anonymous said...

so the shoe story was funny, i imagined the look on your face once you noticed your mistake. priceless. :o) and about reuben eating all of the teeting pills, i imagined all of that too...and didn't like it quite as much. i'm so glad he's okay...

Jarmeg Family said...

That is pretty funny, we all eat some humble pie sometimes. I remember being very judgemental before I had kids, and I have had to eat all my thoughts and words! Glad Rueben is okay, don't feel bad, one of my kids drank cough syrup once. I had to call poison control - mom of the year for me!

Anonymous said...

I can relate! I think we've all had moments like that as parents. You think, oh my gosh, I'd never do such and such like that Mom and then, well...you end up doing it or faced with something the same. I'm really glad that Rueben is ok. Tasha ate a gluestick this year, and she had been able to open childproof bottles since she was little. Ya, I found her with a bottle of tylenol all over the floor. Scary stuff! Isn't parenthood exciting?!

Rachelle Vernon Jones said...

too funny dena. oh ya, you see, now i'm that mom that let her baby grab the curling iron. (i know.) yikes. my mom says you just sigh when they are about 5 and out of this scary stage! we do the best we can right! :)